Mother City Magic ~Cape Town

Mother City Magic ~Cape Town
Written and edited by Veronica Clark

Monday 31 October 2011

Klein Optenhorst Part 1

Hi friends from a wintry Cape Town. It's freezing today. So much for spring. This time of the year in and around Cape Town it is "Open Garden" season and my favourite time of all. There are so many gardens to view. So just to remind you that this is not a gardening blog but I had to share some of them here to encourage you to visit a few next time.

On this occasion I drove to the lovely town of  Wellington about 45 minutes away. Well for me and Noddy its 45 minutes. There are mountains to see and photograph, horses in fields of purple, vineyards etc, so you understand.




There were seven open gardens. My first stop as always is Jenny Ferreira's garden,  Klein Optenhorst in the Bovlei Valley. It is a wonderful property and has a small vineyard from which they make Pinot Noir. I have been visiting the garden for years and it never disappoints. There is always something new. The view of the Groenberg Mountains is lovely, there is a dam in front of the beautiful homestead and Jenny has one of  the largest collection of Salivias. Apart from the gorgeous garden there is also a nursery that sells rare and unusual plants and I can never ever resist that!  


The view down the drive...




But, first up lets shop...


The nursery has a charming atmosphere.



Please click here to view the list of plants that is available at the moment.



There is a wonderful vegetable garden.

 



The roses are absolutely gorgeous and tower above my head.




Parasol pretty...



The colourful salad bar.




Enormous lemons...just the thing for a lemon sorbet.



Epatorium sordidum was looking magnificent. I adore the colour!




Take a closer look...at the powder puffy beauty.



Peeking over the fence from the veggie garden, the trees are magnificent!




Delicate...



As an urn addict I will never pass one by without giving it its dues...




The path meanders past this lovely water feature.

Please note the canopy that the trees make... love it.



The round bed beneath the tree is planted with Aquleigas.




Birds abound in the garden and you must see the weavers over the dam.






There is a wonderful collection of Salvias to be viewed.



Some plants are just to large for my patch so it is wonderful to come here and admire them.



The water feature has a lovely patina and is classic with the two trees standing sentry.

 


I wish my Abuliton looked like the one below...but it seems to be coming into itself lately . The bloom is a little work of art.



I will be joining Our World Tuesday to share my piece of the Universe here
as well as Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time here
Mosaic Monday at Little Red House here
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer  here

A great big thank you to Jenny for opening her piece of paradise to us each year and for allowing me to share it with you all. For those who read my other blog http://www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com
I just have to mention that I will post this garden there as well at a later stage, so no worries, you won't miss out!


That's it for now folks. Look out for part two when I will show you the beautiful terraces at the back of the homestead. If you have any problems receiving Mother City Magic by email please let me know at ronnieclark@mweb.co.za

Live the Cape Town vibe where ever you are

Veronica

xxx

All images are my own and if you wish to use any please advise me and kindly link back to this site. Thanks for stopping by. Please regale me with your comments in the comment box below. Should you not have  google account you can just use the "anonymous" comment option and leave your name and email address. Thank you!

 

16 comments:

  1. Incredibly beautiful bell you start showing.
    Wishing you a good Tuesday.
    / Hanne Bente
    www.finus.dk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tones of green and soft flower shades. A haven of peace and beauty. Thank you for sharing all this loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Thanks for sharing,JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice garden! i like this yellow macro most :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in heaven just my kind of place LOOVVEE the veg garden. More please......:0)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also amazing... I'm really pleased that I had the opportunity to experience your post today! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing photos and variety of plants. Enjoyed my visit and have never been to South Africa..how lovely it is!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful walk in the garden you brought us on! I agree with you on the urn, stunning; and your mosaic is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful garden! Thanks for sharing.
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the view down the drive - I think that the approach to a garden is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post with wonderful shots! Seems a very nice place to visit with lovely flowers and plants!
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    Happy day****

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! Such lovely flowers and plants. I am enjoying your spring as I go into Winter. Thank you for stopping by my blog too! :)Kit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there - we have an open gardens scheme here as well - always a good opportunity to have a look behind some high fences!

    Shame that they can’t move the boat on your shore - but I'm sure the gulls find a use for it!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful garden. We have friends who live in Cape Town. It's so nice to see all the beautiful flowers. We are entering the Fall season here in New England.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thank you so much for linking in this week. It is an honor to host Friday's Flaunt and meet new friends and visit the regulars (who are like old friends) who share. I am always excited to tour each post and see the different flowers/ projects and garden art that everyone flaunts. It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...and I appreciate each and every link and comment! I have shared your post today with my facebook page for Tootsie Time. I hope you will link in again soon!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 153vk5ixt

    Also visit my web page halogen cooker

    ReplyDelete